Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Camp Debriefing


So here it is Tuesday and a couple of days after camp. I've been thinking a lot about the camp and it's affect on me, which I have to say is quite profound. For a newbie like me, this was the perfect way to get my feet wet. It was challenging yet fun and helped me get past some of my fears.

I was never made to feel like "the newbie" either - I had wondered if some of the more hardcore types would look at me and my lack of skills and be not too kind. But there was never a moment where I felt looked down on or ridiculed, the support from everyone was amazing.

It truly was a life changing weekend for me. Here is just some of what I learned:
  • That I can do so much more than I ever imagined I could and that sometimes a little push is a good thing.
  • That no fear is too great to overcome.
  • That compasses are sexy!
  • That when you are climbing a hill on a bike and the front wheel pops up, you should put your break on and jump off the bike quickly otherwise you will end up bloody and bruised (I'm STILL bleeding from that fall!)
  • That falling is an art that I have mastered all too well.
  • That of the instructors I had, Jari cried the first time she mountain biked (and is now a world class biker) and Jon hates heights (yet still does some of the most challenging ropes around). Made me feel a whole lot better.
  • That going from Point A to Point B in a straight line is rather difficult for me, whether on land or by boat. I guess I missed that class in elementary school.
  • That despite not being able to go from Point A to Point B in a straight line in a kayak, it can actually mean you get to do lots of 360's, which is a lot of fun! (not exactly great race strategy but I've got to find the good in this somehow)
  • That if you use "Frankenstein arms" for kayaking, you will learn great form for paddling (it feels weird and looks funny but it works)
  • That it is possible to go straight down a hill on a mountain bike and not fall off (well, most of the time)
  • That you can meet the most amazing people in the most unexpected places and your life is the better for having met them.
  • And finally... that my life is an extremely blessed one. All of you, my friends and family, have been so supportive of me in this endeavor and I will never be able to repay each of you for that support. Your emails and comments meant a lot - THANK YOU!!!
And so on to my next adventure - I have no idea what exactly it will be but I can't wait to find out!

No comments: