Monday, March 17, 2008

Ropes and Tigers and Bears, oh my!

A good nights sleep can work wonders! I actually slept all night and feel like a different person today. So here it is, Monday and I am ready for another day of being outside - I'll be 4 wheeling with some friends who just happen to be in town for the Jeep Safari. Should be a great day! That is hours away and I have yet to post about the rest of my weekend, so here it goes.

Saturday was ropes day and as I mentioned in a previous post, I was pretty nervous about what this day would bring due to my fear of heights. But due to the amazing instruction of Jari I conquered it, no problem. The first rappelling exercise was a 60 foot cliff, pretty small compared to the big ole' cliff that I did later. The pic above is that very cliff - it seemed so big at the time but now it looks so tiny. But it was a HUGE step for me to make it and gave me the courage to take on the larger cliff right next to it.


But first I decided to do the zip line, or Tyrolean Traverse. I hate to admit it but I completely panicked on this one and couldn't do it. Someday I will do it, I have no doubt about that. But at that very moment, when I had to actually jump off, I just couldn't. I instead decided to go for rappelling off the larger cliff. No, let me rephrase that... JARI decided I would be doing the larger cliff. I don't think I had much of a choice. But her confidence in me gave me the courage to do it, and I did!


It was freakin amazing! The first part of the cliff you are walking down the rock but the bottom half is all free fall. (pic on right is the very cliff) It was a 150- 200 foot drop and I made it down no problem. I had a huge grin on my face for the rest of the day and that night I laid in bed reliving the day, which is part of the reason I have been so tired. I wish I could describe the exact feeling but it's hard to put into words. There is just something about conquering your fear that is empowering and liberating. I honestly believe that I can do anything now, anything at all. It may not be easy but I have no intention of letting that stop me.

Here are more pics from the day Ropes

I have to give a lot of credit to the instructors, especially Jari. They knew exactly what to do to walk me through the day. It was one of those days that I will never forget!

We ended up getting back late from ropes and dove right into the navigation clinic/dinner/Adventure Racing 101 with no break. Navigation was a bit over my head, although I plan on taking a more in-depth class this spring that will hopefully help me figure it out. Then Team Salomon/Crested Butte (the team Jari is on and one of the top teams in AR) presented lots of great info on nutrition, time management, gear, etc. After that was 'awards' time- they gave out some gear and I was one of the lucky ones to get something! The whole "I haven't been on a bike since I was 10 years old yet still rode the slick rock trail" won me a couple of backpacking food packets (woo hoo!! I've been wanting to try these). Great end to the day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pam!!! You are so amazing! What a great adventure....keep it up on this exciting new journey in your life. You are doing so great...you inspire me!
Kathy

Mini Me said...

Thanks hon! Can you believe I am doing this? I was such a wimp in college :-) Next year you should plan on coming to camp with me, we could be a team!

Hope you are having fun in Mesquite - is it at least warm there?