Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Addiction of a Different Kind


I love REI... love, love, love it. There is no other place I would prefer to be than at REI. On bad days I will head on over to the downtown store and just wander through the store, dreaming of the day when I will be able to afford all the equipment I long to buy: the GPS with more bells and whistles than anyone could ever imagine; an internal frame backpack for backpacking; a tent, sleeping bag and all the other goodies for camping; a mountain bike; and the list goes on and on.

Today I was able to get my REI fix and spent an hour looking for the last items on my shopping list for camp. I have spent a pretty penny on all that I need for this trip, everything from trail runners, sandals, swimsuit and other misc stuff. Today was my search for cycling pants. You know the type, the 'so tight you can see everything' type of pants with padding in all the right places. I was told that if I want to be able to walk after my day of riding, then I should get these types of pants.

So today I set out to find these miracle pants and after spending way too much time trying on every pair they had, I found ones that will work. They are comfortable and, well, tight. But hey, I might as well look like everyone else when I'm out there!

The best part of today's shopping spree? All free! Another reason to love REI are those lovely dividends they send out every year. REI members get back 10% of everything you buy during the year. Let's just say that despite wanting to spend even more money in the future, I spent A LOT last year and it certainly did pay off. A pair of cycling pants and cycling gloves for the big price of $0.

Now this is an addiction I can live with.

No comments: