Monday, May 2, 2011

the countdown begins...

Today was my yearly checkup. It was also my appointment where my primary dr gets to say "yay" or "nay" to my surgery. In other words, she says whether I'm healthy enough to have surgery. I'm happy to say that, despite my lack of workouts or much of a balanced diet the past few months, I got a clean bill of health. June 7th can't get here soon enough!

In the midst of waiting for surgery, I've been doing some planning for after surgery, and I'm getting excited! It actually started last weekend when I watched  127 Hours (AMAZING movie!) and despite the threat of my arm being amputated, it reminded me how much I love being outside; it was my way of leaving all the stresses behind (plus I have always wanted to do some canyoneering - who needs a damn arm!)

So I have decided to make a list of everything I'm going to do next year, with my new hip in tow:

  • Go showshoeing (YEAH!)
  • Canoe the Platte through Denver with Glenny
  • Run my first race, a 12-hour adventure race in Moab - Wandering Soles is back!
  • Climb a few 14'ers
  • Run a few more adventure races
  • Hike the Grand Canyon with Project Athena
  • Spend a weekend doing some canyoneering in Moab
  • Take a kayaking course  (using my brand new kayak!)
  • Do more climbing (inside and out!)
  • Canoe/Kayak down the Colorado in Moab
  • Do lots of Yoga!
  • Spend many days riding my bike around Denver - so many trails to explore!
  • Ride Slick Rock Trail in, you guessed it, Moab
  • Take Mountaineering Training Courses at Colorado Mountain Club (I've ALWAYS wanted to take these classes!)
  • Hike whenever I damn well please :-)
This all just sounds heavenly and I'm ready to dive into it all. I truly hate sitting around, I'm ready to get moving!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "moab-04" panoramic picture at dawn is breathtaking.

And I couldn't stop laughing at the last item on your to do list, "Hike whenever I damn well please!" : D
When I used to hike, I hiked A LOT; and I got a lot of grief for it.

Thanks for brightening my night.

Mini Me said...

Very happy to hear that you laughed at that - I get lots of grief for my hiking too, most just don't get it!